Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Day 73 - Mehndi

As I mentioned, not only did I go home for Easter with the family, but I also had a wedding to work.  I started working weddings for HS about 5 years ago.  She does all kinds of weddings, but has built a name for herself in the area of Indian weddings which is no small feat.  Shameless plug, http://www.eventsbyhala.com/ These events are typically several days long and included different parties and ceremonies.  When I arrived Friday evening for the Sangeet, a couple of ceremonies and celebrations had already take place.  Thursday was the Mehndi party for the bride and her guests.  So, even though they had already done this, she still had a couple of Mehndi artists on hand for tonight's event. 


I am so amazed by the beauty of this kind of art work and the speed at which they do it.  If you ever have the opportunity to get this done, DO IT!  I will warn you that you have to let it dry on your hand for about 4-6 hours, and if you get it on your clothes it will stain.  But it looks beautiful on the skin and lasts for a week or so. 

Tonight's event was really cool.  It is a party for the upcoming wedding.  There are speeches and singing and dancing performances by the family and friends of the bride and groom.  This particular couple decided to do a Bollywood them complete with a red carpet and movie posters that had them as the stars.  The kicked off the performances with hired fire dancers which was neat to watch.  All in all tonight was a success, and just a small peak of what tomorrow holds.

1 comment:

  1. I got it done on my feet and ankles once. LOVED IT! I keep meaning to do it again some summer when it's open-toe weather. Perhaps this is the year? Thanks for the reminder!

    Trace

    ReplyDelete